Boycott Kos until Chevron Ad is Dropped

We all know about Chevron’s involvement in Burma.  If we are serious about Burma then we should be serious about putting pressure on Chevron.  And putting pressure on those that support Chevron.

So take the pledge and refuse to view DailyKos until this ad is dropped and a Front Page post renounces it.  Or is renouncing only good for O’Reilly and Limbuagh?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Is the Pony/Pie/Hide rating system too cutsie?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

271 comments

Skip to comment form

1.   Live your beliefs

2. that’s the position of DailyKos.

If you read DailyKos there is a presumption you’re smart enough to not buy into the crap that Chevron sells as an ad.

Me…I finally broke down and paid the $100 subscription for no ads to support the fellowships. Before that I just ignored all the ads ~ since the pie war days.

3. Whoever you are you may not be aware of this, but…The use of peoples names or close to peoples names is prohibited here.

Though I do not wish to appear paranoid, there is another site that uses this technique, that also seems interested in using our site as a playground for their bored destructive pranks.

I cannot help but think that this is yet another instance of that.

Since you are brand new and will not lose the ‘status’ of a low UID, I am going to ask you to change your name….now.

If you don’t respond to this comment, I will just go ahead and ban this account.

Also, specifically targeting Daily Kos here is prohibited as well. I hate deleting diaries so I will not delete this.

But if you are actually posting here in good faith and this is not meant as a disruptive and challenging prank, please respond and lets see what we can do to work this out.

4. The screen name you have chosen

could be construed to be evoking my Talk Left screen name and my now banned Daily Kos name.

Perhaps a disclaimer would do the trick. To wit:

“This user is not nor is related to the former Kos user and Talk Left poster Big Tent Democrat, whom I admire greatly.

Heh

Fire Urban Meyer!
    by: Armando @ Thu Oct 04, 2007 at 12:37:52 PDT

Uh oh

Cosmic Debris broke the blog again.

Fire Urban Meyer!
    by: Armando @ Thu Oct 04, 2007 at 12:39:27 PDT

• Armando on October 4, 2007 at 9:54 pm

My hilarious comment was deleted.

Hilarity is being CENSORED at Docudharma!!!!

Fascists!

5. Anyone else having trouble posting a comment? It says it wants a subject head when there already is one.

6. http://politicalfles

• pfiore8 on October 4, 2007 at 10:59 pm

i think it is a mistake and i don’t agree about the name either

they bring up an interesting point

and they should be allowed to pursue it through so we can also think it through…

what happened to engaging people in debate? how do we turn people around? this diarist is just the person you want here… me, i’m pretty much like you. but we need people who see things differently to write here without being threatened with banning or loud FUCK YOUs

i really don’t like the responses and i object to the banning.

making the world a better place starts here, doesn’t it?

• pico on October 4, 2007 at 11:34 pm

in fact I don’t see what the problem is.  The ‘selecting ads would be censorship’ line of arguing is fine, but we all agree there are limits to what is acceptable.  The question, then, is whether Chevron ads during the Burmese crisis cross that line of acceptability.  If so, are you committed to boycotting groups that allow themselves to be associated with Chevron?  If not (to either question), why not?

The weakness here is that the diary is pretty much kos-myopic, rather than acknowledging that these ads are all over the progressive blogs.  A more comprehensive discussion would have been nice.  But in theory, there’s a lot more here than just kos-bashing if people want to discuss the issue.  At what point do we become disgusted enough with the laissez-faire attitude towards ad censorship to take action?  Or are there no limits to acceptability?

It’s especially ludicrous given that the nets will jump into action to pelt advertisers at conservative blogs, as if that’s somehow entirely different.

7. Check out the FP at DKos now.

Chevron is Down, Burma is Up.

Thank you Meteor Blades!

• Armando on October 5, 2007 at 12:51 am

I am not sure if Huff Po ran the Chevron ad, but I think it did. Boycott Huff Po?

I am not sure, but I believe peeder was contracted by Kos while the Chevron ad ran. Certainly when the pie ad ran. Did he give back the money?

Or did that money fund pff?

Boycott pff?

• Armando on October 5, 2007 at 1:14 am

I hope the folks at pff are not this foolish. The ad is probably out of rotation. I seriusly doubt it has been pulled. Markos won’t do that.

And to be perfectly clear, Meteor blades is expressing an opinion about an advertiser, which very often is NOT what the advertiser will like to hear.

But there must be a wall, BOTH WAYS, from advertising and editorial.

Anyone with any knowledge on the subject knows thisn.

But it is more fun to falsely declare victory apparently.

Enjoy it. What happens when the Chevron ad runs again?

• Pluto on October 5, 2007 at 1:55 am

Budhy, listen to your heart. Trust yourself. I’ve watched online communities from the beginning of time. I’ve seen the euphoria of beginnings and the seeds of decline.

I think you should know — you are “perfect” right now. You are doing everything right. Don’t let the “noise” taint you.

Rock the blog.
    Don’t let the blog rock you.
    Rock on.

• fatdave on October 5, 2007 at 2:06 am

I was going to timidly say that that adblock on  Firefox with filterset G doesn’t show any ads for me unless I physically whitelist the site.

fwiw.

8. I’m also going to boycott the first paragraph of Nightprowlkitty’s next essay to protest her cussing like a longshoreman . . .

longshorewoman . . .

longshoreperson.

9. if a diary like this brings out so much hyperventilating and dirty harry impressions from admins, then you probably don’t have a thick enough skin for it.

This should be easily laughed off but instead you derail your own blog with it. Wait until you get real pros trying to derail you – you won’t stand a chance.

Buhdy, you used to be able to make friends of hostile posters and even listened to what they had to say. That was a unique skill of yours. What happened?

Comments have been disabled.