(11 am. – promoted by ek hornbeck)
“Fukushima nuclear plant is leaking like a sieve,” says Nature, a journal which isn’t exactly prone to hyperbole, and this screaming headline is actually an understatement, because…
Fukushuima is really leaking like five sieves!
1. The pressure vessels around the reactor cores are leaking!
2. The primary containment vessels are leaking!
3. Pipes between the buildings are leaking!
4. The storage pools which were supposed to contain 100,000 tons of radioactive water are leaking!
5. There are leaks in the basements of the buildings which contain the containment vessels!
Everything is leaking, and outside the tight little circle of TEPCO and Japanese government nobody knows how much radiation has already leaked into the air and soil and ocean, because…
Tepco and Japan’s nuclear regulators haven’t updated the total radiation leakage from the plant in northern Japan since April 12.
And of course April 12 was the day Fukushima was declared a Level 7 Nuclear Event, the same as Chernobyl.