Jul 21 2010
In his recent diary, Join the Green New Deal Coalition, Docudharma diarist daveschwab was very, very rude to me. So rude, in fact, that I am forced, more in sorrow than in anger, to respond with a diary of my own.
Dave’s diary asks us to join Green Change’s Green New Deal Coalition, endorsing and working to implement the following principles:
1) Cut military spending at least 70%;
2) Create millions of green union jobs through massive public investment in renewable energy, mass transit and conservation;
3) Set ambitious, science-based greenhouse gas emission reduction targets, and enact a revenue-neutral carbon tax to meet them;
4) Establish single-payer “Medicare for all” health care;
5) Provide tuition-free public higher education;
6) Change trade agreements to improve labor, environmental, consumer, health and safety standards;
7) End counterproductive prohibition policies and legalize marijuana;
8) Enact tough limits on credit interest and lending rates, progressive tax reform and strict financial regulation;
9) Amend the U.S. Constitution to abolish corporate personhood; and
10) Pass sweeping electoral, campaign finance and anti-corruption reforms.
Jul 21 2010
Please disregard this essay. It began as an extended response to a question asked by another essayist whose essay I liked, and I accicdently published it when I meant only to save the draft. I’m going to delete if I can find out how.
Not an auspicious first attempt, eh? My apologies to all the readers of Docudharma. I hope to publish the real thing in a few days.